Topics

HOWTO connect to a #spyserver running an AIRSPYHF+ in #spyserver #gnuradio

david_hunt@...

I have spent the better part of a full day trying to get this to work, and I am looking for help from anyone that has already succeeded at this. I have tried Ubuntu 16.04LTS, 18.04LTS, and finally 18.10. I have tried installing gnuradio via apt-get, and installing using PyBOMBS. In all cases I get the osmosdr and rtl-sdr sources, and I can get a basic RTL2832U tuner to work, and I can connect to that tuner via an rtl_tcp server running on a raspberry pi. But I can't seem to connect to a SpyServer in gnuradio. Has anyone gotten this to work? I have a hobby project that I would like to do, but I can't get started until I can get HF bands into gnuradio. Help is appreciated.

prog

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 12:20 AM, <david_hunt@...> wrote:
I have spent the better part of a full day trying to get this to work, and I am looking for help from anyone that has already succeeded at this. I have tried Ubuntu 16.04LTS, 18.04LTS, and finally 18.10. I have tried installing gnuradio via apt-get, and installing using PyBOMBS. In all cases I get the osmosdr and rtl-sdr sources, and I can get a basic RTL2832U tuner to work, and I can connect to that tuner via an rtl_tcp server running on a raspberry pi. But I can't seem to connect to a SpyServer in gnuradio. Has anyone gotten this to work? I have a hobby project that I would like to do, but I can't get started until I can get HF bands into gnuradio. Help is appreciated.
As a Linux user, you should be able to fiddle with makefiles and use a compiler. Here's the first google result I found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comments/9zaj5l

Note that your question is unrelated to anything we do with Airspies. For further help, better ask GNU Radio folks. They are lovely people and know more about GNU Radio than we do.

Martin Smith

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 11:20 PM, <david_hunt@...> wrote:

? I have a hobby project that I would like to do, but I can't get started
until I can get HF bands into gnuradio. Help is appreciated.
I do not think that there is any way to access a spyserver via gnuradio (yet, maybe someday).

Your best bet to access an Airspy HF+ device in gnuradio is via Soapy since there is a driver for that https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyAirspyHF

So you would install the official library for USB access to the Airspy HF+ hardware ( https://github.com/airspy/airspyhf ) then the Vendor neutral SoapySDR layer and after you installed the driver check that it has access to the Airspy HF+ hardware ( SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=airspyhf" ), then in gnuradio (provided it was compiled with soapy support) you would use a OsmoSDR Source block and open a soapy device via "soapy=0,driver=airspyhf". Or could even use SoapyRemote as a workaround to not having access via spyserver.
( Or you could even TRY and use the brand new Out-Of-Tree gr-soapy SoapySDR GNU Radio Module, but that would be bleeding edge, according logs to the initial commit was only 3 months ago. )

For GQRX there is a special fork with a custom branch for the Airspy HF+ ( http://gqrx.dk/supported-hardware#airspyhf ) that could could technically be used to add support to GnuRadio (but that branch has not been pushed upstream to the official gr-osmosdr repository), so that might be a whole be different can of worms that you probably do not want to open unless you really know what you are doing.