Topics

sticky Airspyhf+ flashing

Giovanni Carboni
 

Hello guys,

For some obscure reason firmware flashing does not work for me on Win10 but it is ok on Win7. It looks like on Win10 nothing is found to flash (flash.bat behaves the same if Airspyhf+ is plugged in or not) despite SDR# works correctly. Any idea? 

73 Giovanni Iz5pqt 

David J Taylor
 

Hello guys,

For some obscure reason firmware flashing does not work for me on Win10 but it is ok on Win7. It looks like on Win10 nothing is found to flash (flash.bat behaves the same if Airspyhf+ is plugged in or not) despite SDR# works correctly. Any idea?

73 Giovanni Iz5pqt
====================================

Giovanni,

I found something similar, and it might be due to the number (or numbers) of the COM ports I have allocated. I tried on a different Win-10 PC (a tablet with few, if any, COM ports) and it works there with no problems, so that's the PC I use for flashing.

73,
David GM8ARV
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter:@gm8arv

jdow
 

An (IMAO) bug in the AirSpy HF+ code requires that you do not have anything assigned to com port 10. Otherwise it cannot be flashed.

{^_^}

On 20180310 03:57, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello guys,
For some obscure reason firmware flashing does not work for me on Win10 but it is ok on Win7. It looks like on Win10 nothing is found to flash (flash.bat behaves the same if Airspyhf+ is plugged in or not) despite SDR# works correctly. Any idea?
73 Giovanni Iz5pqt
====================================
Giovanni,
I found something similar, and it might be due to the number (or numbers) of the COM ports I have allocated.  I tried on a different Win-10 PC (a tablet with few, if any, COM ports) and it works there with no problems, so that's the PC I use for flashing.
73,
David GM8ARV

prog
 

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 04:34 am, jdow wrote:
An (IMAO) bug in the AirSpy HF+ code requires that you do not have anything assigned to com port 10. Otherwise it cannot be flashed.

{^_^}

No Airspy code is running when in factory boot mode.
Once the device is plugged in factory boot mode, the OS creates a virtual COM port that gives access to a command interpreter built into the MCU. The flashing software then instructs the interpreter to erase and write the flash.

Now the original firmware flashed into the first ~1000 units had a bug that didn't allow the MCU to reboot in factory boot mode properly. That's different from the problems that could happen with the Windows drivers and virtual COM ports, but it can still be easily fixed with a manual erase and reboot of the device.

Subsequent updates should not require that manipulation.

WZ2Q
 

I put together these instructions a few weeks ago when I updated the firmware from 0.9 (the version from the factory that had the flashing bug) to the latest version. This worked for me on Windows 10.

AirSpy HF+ Firmware Update Instructions

Howard M. Harte, WZ2Q - February 22, 2018

Overview

There are two different flash procedures, depending on the current firmware running in your AirSpy HF+.  If you have never flashed it before, follow the first-time update procedure. These instructions were verified on a Windows 10 PC.  The command prompt window was “run as Administrator” although I’m not sure this is necessary.

First-Time Update (Recovery Procedure:)


Due to a bug in the first firmware, this procedure must be used for the first firmware upgrade.

Subsequent updates should work with the standard procedure above.


1. Open the HF+ enclosure

2. Connect the device to the PC

3. Short the Erase pins for one second (see the photo)



4. Disconnect the device from the PC

5. Connect the device again

6. Double click on flash.bat

7. Wait until it flashes and verifies the data

8. Disconnect the device from the PC

9. Connect the device again

10. Done


Example Output:


C:\airspy-hf-flash-20180222\airspy-hf-flash>FLASH.bat

Airspy HF+ Flash Utility

Looking for a suitable flashable device...

Flashable device found on port COM13

Unlock all regions

Erase flash


Done in 0.011 seconds

Write 42140 bytes to flash (165 pages)

[==============================] 100% (165/165 pages)

Done in 2.503 seconds

Verify 42140 bytes of flash

[==============================] 100% (165/165 pages)

Verify successful

Done in 1.879 seconds

Set boot flash true

Rebooting the device in normal mode...

The system cannot find the file Calib.

Restoring the calibration...

Done

Press a key to close.



Subsequent Updates (Standard Firmware Upgrade Procedure:)


1. Connect the unit to the PC

2. Double click on flash.bat

3. Disconnect the device from the PC

4. Connect the device again

5. Done


Example Output

C:\airspy-hf-flash-20180222\airspy-hf-flash>FLASH.bat

Airspy HF+ Flash Utility

Looking for a suitable flashable device...

Looking for a suitable flashing driver...

This one can do the job: \WINDOWS\INF\OEM53.INF

Saving the calibration...

Rebooting the device in flash mode...

Flashable device found on port COM13

Unlock all regions

Erase flash


Done in 0.011 seconds

Write 42140 bytes to flash (165 pages)

[==============================] 100% (165/165 pages)

Done in 2.309 seconds

Verify 42140 bytes of flash

[==============================] 100% (165/165 pages)

Verify successful

Done in 1.680 seconds

Set boot flash true

Rebooting the device in normal mode...

Restoring the calibration...

Done

Press a key to close.

 

Mark Taylor
 

I am having the same problem.  My unit is an early one, so it probably has the bug.  I did manually erase the unit and reboot it.  The I followed the instructions:

Have the unit plugged in.  Start the flash.  Let it verify the data (I think.  the Command lines are below), then unplugged and replugged the unit.

Nothing happened for up to 30 minutes.

I've tried flashing the unit on 3 computers with the same results.

Here's the commands:

Airspy HF+ Flash Utility
Looking for a suitable flashable device...
Looking for a suitable flashing driver...
This one can do the job: \WINDOWS\INF\OEM72.INF
Saving the calibration...
Rebooting the device in flash mode...
Press a key to close.

What next?

Tudor Vedeanu
 

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 02:54 pm, Mark Taylor wrote:

I did manually erase the unit

Was the device connected to the computer while you shorted the Erase pins? That's how you erase it. I think I tried ten times to erase my HF+ while being off, until I noticed that line saying it must be connected to the USB.

Tudor

Giovanni Carboni
 

Mark,

try another PC, In my case flashing worked on one and didn't work on another,

Giovanni IZ5PQT

Steve Jerome
 

Hi,
 
Excuse my ignorance as I am about to receive a new HF+ in the post ; presumably I will have to update the firmware and if so, do the 'first time update'.  If so, what does 'short the erase pins' mean ?  What needs to be done exactly ?
 
Many thanks,
 
Steve Jerome

Mike Bott <mike_bott@...>
 

In the unzipped folder, there is a jpg that shows you what pins to short and the Readme.txt file has the full instructions.

On 03/11/2018 07:16 AM, Steve Jerome wrote:
Hi,
 
Excuse my ignorance as I am about to receive a new HF+ in the post ; presumably I will have to update the firmware and if so, do the 'first time update'.  If so, what does 'short the erase pins' mean ?  What needs to be done exactly ?
 
Many thanks,
 
Steve Jerome

Steve Jerome
 

Found it, thanks very much for that Mike ; much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Jerome

david
 

And a piece of advice for everyone attempting the 'erase' step:

As well as having the unit powered from the USB port, you need to hold the
'erase' connection for at least a second. Just a brief touch doesn't seem to
do the job.

Best Wishes
David, GM8XBZ

-----Original Message-----
From: main@airspy.groups.io [mailto:main@airspy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike
Bott via Groups.Io
Sent: 11 March 2018 11:30
To: main@airspy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [airspy] Airspyhf+ flashing

In the unzipped folder, there is a jpg that shows you what pins to short and
the Readme.txt file has the full instructions.

W8RMV
 

Mark Taylor,
You are not alone. I had the same message when trying to flash the latest version 1.6.2.  I have flashed the previous versions successfully & on the same computer (W10 64bit) & USB cable.  I took the cable & HF+ & connected it to my W10 64 bit Laptop & it flashed there, no problems.  I still haven't figured out why my desktop stopped cooperating.  I did notice that my virus protection on the Desktop warned me of a deep guard concern, but disabling the complete security suite, did not fix the flash issue.  And that was the first time my Virus protection did that.  All prior flashes did not trigger the protection.  I do not have that protection suite on my laptop.
--
73 Bob W8RMV

jdow
 

Pain and frustration is the lot in life of those who will not read "README" and other documentation files.

{^_-}

On 20180311 04:43, Steve Jerome wrote:
Found it, thanks very much for that Mike ; much appreciated.
Regards,
Steve Jerome

jdow
 

As a last resort temporarily remove all other USB devices that are not keyboards, mice, touchpads, or CDROMs. And based on something awhile back make sure nothing is sitting on COM10 serial port. There was a series of comments that suggested the ASHF+ device will look like a COM port and may try to land on COM10 by preference.

{^_^}

On 20180311 04:49, W8RMV@... wrote:
Mark Taylor,
You are not alone. I had the same message when trying to flash the latest version 1.6.2.  I have flashed the previous versions successfully & on the same computer (W10 64bit) & USB cable.  I took the cable & HF+ & connected it to my W10 64 bit Laptop & it flashed there, no problems.  I still haven't figured out why my desktop stopped cooperating.  I did notice that my virus protection on the Desktop warned me of a deep guard concern, but disabling the complete security suite, did not fix the flash issue.  And that was the first time my Virus protection did that.  All prior flashes did not trigger the protection.  I do not have that protection suite on my laptop.
--
73 Bob W8RMV

EB4APL
 

HI,

The COM10 port issue is not definitive. Here one computer uses COM11, other COM13. None of them has anything installed on COM10.
I have noticed that the USB cable has influence in SOME flashing problems.
One problem that I had was due to my main computer not had the system program file "wmic.exe" , which is used by FLASH.bat,  in the right folder. I copied it to its standard location "Windows|System32" and the problem solved. Who knows what did the change.

Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL


El 11/03/2018 a las 13:15, jdow escribió:

As a last resort temporarily remove all other USB devices that are not keyboards, mice, touchpads, or CDROMs. And based on something awhile back make sure nothing is sitting on COM10 serial port. There was a series of comments that suggested the ASHF+ device will look like a COM port and may try to land on COM10 by preference.

{^_^}

On 20180311 04:49, W8RMV@... wrote:
Mark Taylor,
You are not alone. I had the same message when trying to flash the latest version 1.6.2.  I have flashed the previous versions successfully & on the same computer (W10 64bit) & USB cable.  I took the cable & HF+ & connected it to my W10 64 bit Laptop & it flashed there, no problems.  I still haven't figured out why my desktop stopped cooperating.  I did notice that my virus protection on the Desktop warned me of a deep guard concern, but disabling the complete security suite, did not fix the flash issue.  And that was the first time my Virus protection did that.  All prior flashes did not trigger the protection.  I do not have that protection suite on my laptop.
--
73 Bob W8RMV

Alberto I2PHD
 


Just a small note based on my personal experience. At first, shorting the two "Erase" pads as shown in the photo did not work...
Then I realized that maybe the pads could have been covered by a transparent layer of protective (and insulating...) paint.
I disconnected the unit from the USB port, and gently scraped the top of the two pads so to expose the bare solder.
Then I reconnected the unit to the USB port, and repeat the shorting procedure.
This time everything worked as it should, and was able to correctly flash the firmware.
 
--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam


Mark Taylor
 

Hi,

Thanks for all the ideas:  Here's what I've done.  Cumulative and stopping with each step to try.  So far no luck.

- Scraped the erase pads and re erased the unit, being careful to hold it for a full 1 second.  Took all external devices off my laptop.  Checked the computer that Port 10, 11, 12 wasn't in use.  (In fact no ports were listed.) Same as previously.
- Changed cable.  Same as previously.
- turned off virus protection, internet, and firewall.  Same as previously.

I think those were the relevant suggestions I hadn't tried before.

Repeated this on 2 other computers with same responses - 1 laptop and 1 desktop.  Originally on a MSI laptop, then a Lenovo laptop, then a HP desktop.

It's pretty clear that the flash software isn't finding the unit even with downloading the flash software to 3 machines.

Other suggestions?

Thanks

Mark


On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

Just a small note based on my personal experience. At first, shorting the two "Erase" pads as shown in the photo did not work...
Then I realized that maybe the pads could have been covered by a transparent layer of protective (and insulating...) paint.
I disconnected the unit from the USB port, and gently scraped the top of the two pads so to expose the bare solder.
Then I reconnected the unit to the USB port, and repeat the shorting procedure.
This time everything worked as it should, and was able to correctly flash the firmware.
 
--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam


f1hdi
 

Hello,

The clue on my side was to move on a USB2 port on one of my computers.

73 Jean-Marc


Le 11/03/2018 à 20:47, Mark Taylor a écrit :

Hi,

Thanks for all the ideas:  Here's what I've done.  Cumulative and stopping with each step to try.  So far no luck.

- Scraped the erase pads and re erased the unit, being careful to hold it for a full 1 second.  Took all external devices off my laptop.  Checked the computer that Port 10, 11, 12 wasn't in use.  (In fact no ports were listed.) Same as previously.
- Changed cable.  Same as previously.
- turned off virus protection, internet, and firewall.  Same as previously.

I think those were the relevant suggestions I hadn't tried before.

Repeated this on 2 other computers with same responses - 1 laptop and 1 desktop.  Originally on a MSI laptop, then a Lenovo laptop, then a HP desktop.

It's pretty clear that the flash software isn't finding the unit even with downloading the flash software to 3 machines.

Other suggestions?

Thanks

Mark


On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

Just a small note based on my personal experience. At first, shorting the two "Erase" pads as shown in the photo did not work...
Then I realized that maybe the pads could have been covered by a transparent layer of protective (and insulating...) paint.
I disconnected the unit from the USB port, and gently scraped the top of the two pads so to expose the bare solder.
Then I reconnected the unit to the USB port, and repeat the shorting procedure.
This time everything worked as it should, and was able to correctly flash the firmware.
 
--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam



jdow
 

Hm, it belongs in several places. c:\windows\system32\wbem, c:\windows\syswow64\wbem, and a couple others with REALLY long names. The first one of those should be on your path for executables. (The command line "path" command should have the c:\windows\system32\wbem entry.)

{^_^}

On 20180311 05:41, EB4APL wrote:
HI,
The COM10 port issue is not definitive. Here one computer uses COM11, other COM13. None of them has anything installed on COM10.
I have noticed that the USB cable has influence in SOME flashing problems.
One problem that I had was due to my main computer not had the system program file "wmic.exe" , which is used by FLASH.bat,  in the right folder. I copied it to its standard location "Windows|System32" and the problem solved. Who knows what did the change.
Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL
El 11/03/2018 a las 13:15, jdow escribió:
As a last resort temporarily remove all other USB devices that are not keyboards, mice, touchpads, or CDROMs. And based on something awhile back make sure nothing is sitting on COM10 serial port. There was a series of comments that suggested the ASHF+ device will look like a COM port and may try to land on COM10 by preference.

{^_^}

On 20180311 04:49, W8RMV@... wrote:
Mark Taylor,
You are not alone. I had the same message when trying to flash the latest version 1.6.2.  I have flashed the previous versions successfully & on the same computer (W10 64bit) & USB cable.  I took the cable & HF+ & connected it to my W10 64 bit Laptop & it flashed there, no problems.  I still haven't figured out why my desktop stopped cooperating.  I did notice that my virus protection on the Desktop warned me of a deep guard concern, but disabling the complete security suite, did not fix the flash issue.  And that was the first time my Virus protection did that.  All prior flashes did not trigger the protection.  I do not have that protection suite on my laptop.
--
73 Bob W8RMV