Topics

sticky AirSpyHF+ ExtIO: new release #airspyhfplus

Andrea IW0HDV

A new release of IW0HDV ExtIO dll is available here:

https://github.com/IW0HDV/extio-iw0hdv/releases/download/v1.0.5-5-0e5030c/extio_airspyhf_cmake_mgw-v1.0.5-7-g8ddcbe2.dll

It encompasses the airspyhf library up to airspy/airspyhf@c90a817

The lib release string is now visible on the title bar together with the S/N.

Calibration and GPIO support have been added.

Multiple device scan and calibration flash yet to be implemented.

Patrick

Edited

Ciao Andrea,

Just gave a try to the ExtIo with Studio 1, works great !
Hope it will be soon possible to set the sample rate (unless I don't know how to modify the value, it sticks to 768 - I mean only 768 is available)

Andrea IW0HDV

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Patrick <aunumero73@...> wrote:
Hope it will be soon possible to set the sample rate (unless I don't know how to modify the value, it sticks to 768 - I mean only 768 is available)
​It is stuck to 768 kHz as libairspyhf.lib, at least for now,  provides "just" that​ sample rate (my simple ExtIO uses libairspy in order to move samples from radio to SDR software, no DSP there).

--
Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV
As my old boss, an Apollo veteran, would often remind us “It’s good to be smart, but it’s better to be lucky.”

Andrea IW0HDV

An improved release is available at

​       ​
https://github.com/IW0HDV/extio-iw0hdv/releases/tag/v1.0.5-5-0e5030c

It includes
airspyhf library airspy/airspyhf@c90a817

the lib release string is now shown on the title bar together with the S/N.

Calibration and GPIO support added.

Multiple devices scan supported.

Multiple devices switch from ExtIO GUI.

Env var AIRSPYHF variable now allows to select from the command line the device (in case multiple AirSpyHf are a
vailable
).

Calibration flash yet to be implemented.

​       *am* IW0HDV

Andrea IW0HDV

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 1:16 AM, Andrea IW0HDV <andrea.montefusco@...> wrote:

​I discovered a bug in the dll uploaded yesterday, so a new one is available.
​(You can see two fictitious serial number in the device list, please ignore them).

Who does have more than one AirSpyHf+ in his hand and some spare time (far more difficult, I admit), could kindly test if the selection box is working and if it is feasible switch between radios ?

In case you discover a
​n anomaly/bug, please create an issue on GitHub and, above all, send me the log file found in the same directory where the program is.
In recent version of Windows the log file could be found in some other else directory then the one where the program is installed.
For example, on my W7 they are found in: c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\HDSDR.

TIA

   *am* IW0HDV

Andrea IW0HDV

New release with flash calibration data implemented is available:

Use it judiciously, in any case there is a chance to stop yourself before the original calibration data are overwritten.

As I received yesterday an additional unit (thanks Youssef),  was able to test the multi device capabilities and it works.
You can now select the unit to work with manually from a drop down list in the ExtIO GUI or setting the device's serial number in an environment variable (useful for create dedicated icons that start HDSDR on a specific device).

--
Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV
As my old boss, an Apollo veteran, would often remind us “It’s good to be smart, but it’s better to be lucky.”
   Wayne Hale, Space Shuttle Flight Director

Bjarne Mjelde

Downloaded, testing now. I haven't done any flash calibration though. Pardon my ignorance, but the ExtIO box lists GPIO 1/GPIO 2/GPIO 3/GPIO 4 check boxes. All are unchecked. I'm a bit at loss what the purpose is.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
World's Northernmost DX-er

Andrea IW0HDV

GPIO are 4 General Purpose Input Output bits available somewhere on the PCB. As that can be driven by the public API in libairspyhf, I added the GUI part.

BTW they should be called GPO as the input functionality is not available at the moment.

See also

On Jan 24, 2018 06:47, "Bjarne Mjelde" <bjarne.mjelde@...> wrote:
Downloaded, testing now. I haven't done any flash calibration though. Pardon my ignorance, but the ExtIO box lists GPIO 1/GPIO 2/GPIO 3/GPIO 4 check boxes. All are unchecked. I'm a bit at loss what the purpose is.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
World's Northernmost DX-er
arcticdx.blogspot.com
Arctic web-rx:  kongsdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073

Alan G4ZFQ

https://github.com/IW0HDV/extio-iw0hdv/releases/download/v1.0.5-5-0e5030c/extio_airspyhf_cmake_mgw-v1.0.5-15-g467a464.dll
Andrea,

Many thanks for your work, very useful for us strange people who prefer HDSDR and use XP...

I notice that in the recent releases the ExtIO GUI comes up and takes the focus every time HDSDR is stopped and started. Just a minor point but it is a little annoying.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bjarne Mjelde

Thanks Andrea. Good work!
--
Bjarne Mjelde
World's Northernmost DX-er
arcticdx.blogspot.com
Arctic web-rx:  kongsdr.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073

Phil Jensen

Andrea,

Thank you as well.  I just wanted to add-to what Alan mentioned below.

I'm using 1.0.5-15 with HDSDR and am noticing that the ExtIO config dialog un-hides itself every time I change modes in HDSDR (i.e. from LSB to AM), as well as displays and takes focus on HDSDR start.

Phil

On 1/24/2018 1:12 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:

https://github.com/IW0HDV/extio-iw0hdv/releases/download/v1.0.5-5-0e5030c/extio_airspyhf_cmake_mgw-v1.0.5-15-g467a464.dll
Andrea,

Many thanks for your work, very useful for us strange people who prefer HDSDR and use XP...

I notice that in the recent releases the ExtIO GUI comes up and takes the focus every time HDSDR is stopped and started. Just a minor point but it is a little annoying.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Andrea IW0HDV

Since yesterday evening (CET) a new release of ExtIO is available pressing the push button found in

@Alan G4ZFQ: The focus issue should be solved.

@Phil Jensen: the behavior you describe is not reproducible in my systems (W7 and W8 with HDSDR 2.7x).
Indeed, it sounds strange to me as ModeChanged function is not implemented in my ExtIOs, so my modules don't have any way to react to a modulation change in the main program.
Which system/software are you using?

--
Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV
As my old boss, an Apollo veteran, would often remind us “It’s good to be smart, but it’s better to be lucky.”
   Wayne Hale, Space Shuttle Flight Director

dx@...

Thanks for your work on the EXTIO updates, Andrea.

A question for Simon--will SDR-Console V3 will need to wait until the targeted release date to have the newest HF+ EXTIO? I notice the only file that works for the HF+ in V3 is the supplied "airspyhf.dll" file. Renaming a newer EXTIO to "irspyhf.dll" does not work.

Thanks and 73,

Guy

Simon Brown

Guy,

SDR Console doesn’t use EXTIO, it has the latest HF+ code integrated.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

Thanks for your work on the EXTIO updates, Andrea.

A question for Simon--will SDR-Console V3 will need to wait until the targeted release date to have the newest HF+ EXTIO? I notice the only file that works for the HF+ in V3 is the supplied "airspyhf.dll" file. Renaming a newer EXTIO to "irspyhf.dll" does not work.

Thanks and 73,

Guy

Delta22@...

ExtIO crashed on SdrUno when i shutdown the program sdruno.
It is working, but with problems, i can not save anything in SdrUno with this ExtIO

Andrea IW0HDV

Please send me the log file that is found in the same directory where the dll is started.

>>> It is working, but with problems, i can not save anything in SdrUno with this ExtIO.

What do you cant save ?

Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV

On Jan 29, 2018 4:14 PM, <Delta22@...> wrote:
ExtIO crashed on SdrUno when i shutdown the program sdruno.
It is working, but with problems, i can not save anything in SdrUno with this ExtIO

Andrea IW0HDV

Hi Delta22,
Early morning I did test on W7 and W8 using SDrUNO 1.22: no crashes at all here.
In order to help you I need at least your log file.

Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV

On Jan 30, 2018 7:58 AM, "Andrea IW0HDV" <andrea.montefusco@...> wrote:
Please send me the log file that is found in the same directory where the dll is started.

>>> It is working, but with problems, i can not save anything in SdrUno with this ExtIO.

What do you cant save ?

Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV

On Jan 29, 2018 4:14 PM, <Delta22@...> wrote:
ExtIO crashed on SdrUno when i shutdown the program sdruno.
It is working, but with problems, i can not save anything in SdrUno with this ExtIO

Tom - N1MM

Andrea -
Do you have any plans to support bandwidths other than 768000?  I have written an Arispy HF+ interface for N1MM+ using spyserver and can set decimation down to 1/64.  I am experimenting with an ExtIO interface, but there is no api call for setting the decimation level, so it has to be set in the dll's UI.

This is a video of the program's Icom interface.  The Airspy HF+ spyserver interface uses the same UI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJJhFCOhZxA

73,
Tom - N1MM

Andrea IW0HDV

​​
On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Tom <Tom@...> wrote:
Do you have any plans to support bandwidths other than 768000?
​Short answer: no (at least for the time being).​

I have written an Arispy HF+ interface for N1MM+ using spyserver and can set decimation down to 1/64.  I am experimenting with an ExtIO interface, but there is no api call for setting the decimation level, so it has to be set in the dll's UI.
​ExtIO was designed by Alberto I2PHD as a simple way to provide samples from hardware to SDR program​, so the burden of decimation should be on such software.
On the other side, in general, one could say that it is not so difficult to implement a decimation stage in software.
So, it is just my fault​: I have no idea at the moment how to do that (at least in practice, as I know a little bit the theory).
​​
--
Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV
As my old boss, an Apollo veteran, would often remind us “It’s good to be smart, but it’s better to be lucky.”
   Wayne Hale, Space Shuttle Flight Director

Alberto I2PHD

On 2/2/2018 10:38 PM, Andrea IW0HDV wrote:

On the other side, in general, one could say that it is not so difficult to implement a decimation stage in software.
So, it is just my fault​: I have no idea at the moment how to do that (at least in practice, as I know a little bit the theory).

Andrea, it is not difficult at all. I know that you have the Rick Lyons "bible" about Digital Signal Processing.
Search on it for "half-band filters" and "polyphase decomposition". You will find there all what you need for
implementing an optimized decimator, at least for powers of 2, which is the most recurring case.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam